Ways to get your motivation back
Somedays, when I walk back from lab at night, I’m so happy and motivated and have all these ideas buzzing in my head. But then there are days, when there is a lull and it’s so quiet upstairs, almost as if my brains had fallen out. I wondered to myself, what do I do that is different on those days that I’m all gung-ho about life and so up-beat even after a long hard day. And what can I do to get my mojo back on the days when I’m feeling not so awesome and blah about life.
So, I made a list of things that get me all charged up.
1. Running – Endorphins. Period.
2. TED talks – In under twenty minutes, you can learn about how awesome people are changing the world. From jaw-dropping to awe-inspiring talks. If there is anything like “instant inspiration” or “instant mojo” – this is it!
3. Books – I can relate all my major life changing-points to books. There’s been many a night when I’ve lost my sleep to books. Don’t know where to start ? Check my list on the good-reads widget below. This is a good starting point too.
4. People – Talking to people. Listening to their stories. Sharing mine. I usually run with people, so that’s a good way to do two things at once. And every once in a while, I ask people out to coffee/lunch/dinner. They’re happy for a treat and I get to hear their stories. Win-win.
5. Set new goals. In the last eight years (I “woke” up in 2003), there has never been a period in my life where I didn’t have goals. I always have multiple goals. And then I have these elaborate count-downs, to-do lists, loggers and finally crossing them off. Nothing beats the feeling of crossing off your goal. It’s the transformation from “I’ll do it” to “I did it”.
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
So that’s my tricks.
I expect to read some of your tricks in the comments below.