Some new goals..
I recently reviewed my About Me page and realized that I have accomplished most of the goals I had set beginning of this year. In fact, while M.R. and me were running, the conversation veered of to what each of us was good at and when she asked me, what I was good at, I replied, “Setting and achieving goals”.
So, it’s time to set new goals.
1. I’ve run three half marathons now. Even though I’ve not done them in sub 90 minutes, it’s okay. Time to push it one notch up. Run a full marathon in less than 3 hours and 45 minutes. The Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon on 15th January, 2012. I have 8 weeks to train. Bringg itt!
2. Write about learnings from my relationships. I’m 24 years old and have had my share of failed relationships. Discussing anything related to girls on my blog where my dad could read it, scares the shit out of me. Time to man up and face my fears. (Oh, and dad, if you’re reading this, yes, I’ve had girlfriends in the past and just got out of another long relationship. Someday hopefully we’ll reach a level where we can sit down and discuss it without me feeling super guilty about it. I understand your concern when you keep asking me if you should look for girls for me to get married in India, but, in my defense, if I can find my way to Stanford, I think I’m reasonably capable of finding a girl. And I disagree with you – successful people don’t necessarily have to be married. See George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio…)
3. Wake up early (7 am) for 30 days. With my running mileage hitting 30ish miles a week, I need more time to balance work and play. From my experience, I’ve realized that if I do anything consistently for 30 days, it becomes a habit.
4. Start traveling. I realized my earlier goal of running in every state of the US and every country of the world was vague. Need more specifics. So, by the end of 2012, run in 10 states of the US and 4 countries of the world. When I told this to my friends, they asked me how I would manage the money for this. I told them I had a plan. ( Reminds of the quote from the movie Monsters Vs. Aliens when General Monger enters the room and exclaims, “Mr. President, not only do I have an idea but I have a plan !” )
5. Six pack abs by 2012. Why ? Self indulgence. Core stability for running. So I can show off something when I run without a shirt. At least once in my life. When else, if not now.
7. Read 12 more books for 2012. I’m on my last book for 2011. Oh, and if you are thinking of giving me a gift, a book is your safest bet.
All right, good for now. I’ll keep updating this page as I go along.
Also, I notice I have no academic goals. I’ve realized it’s quite futile to have any research goals. I can’t just publish a paper when I want to – not that awesome yet.