A bit of a rough patch – overcoming brick walls.
I seem to have hit a bit of a rough patch. Trying to get back to normal. A summary:
- Spring quarter ended well. Towards the end all my initial enthusiasm with the courses waned off and I had to put my head down push through.
- This quarter I successfully learned Windsurfing. Ah, it was a good decision. Attached video below.
- Also learnt a bit of ball room dancing with Genya. Attached video.
- I was taking an advanced swimming class and improved on my swimming style.
- As expected, with all this going on, my research took a hit.
- For the last couple of weeks, I’ve been trying to cover up back logs and am going to keep a low profile for some time. These last two weeks have been a milestone in some sense. I re-invented myself in a way. And I’ll look back as the point where I changed my attitude towards my professional life.
- One of my goals was to run in ten countries – finally confirmed all the flights (business class! Woot!). Genya and me are visiting Portugal, Germany, France, Italy, India, China and New Zealand.
- The trip is in the month of August and I’m taking a break from work for a month.
- My sister is pregnant and I’m excited about becoming an uncle.
- I got elected to the Graduate Student Council (GSC) and have taken the responsibility for the Public Relations (PR). I’m looking forward to posting more blog posts and information on the GSC website soon.
- Another one of my goals was to complete my desiccation paper – I’ve finished writing it up and it’s lying on my advisors desk now. It looks good and I’m hopeful we’ll get it out this year.
- My new project required building a new setup which is almost complete. I’m chosen the project so that it has a more biological flavor. So, I’m started growing cell cultures and have learnt what other grad students meant when they said that you have to babysit your cells.
- It’s been more than six (?) months into my relationship with Genya and things have never looked better. I’m very happy. And content.
- I have a long-term goal – I intend to pursue a career in academia. And am considering re-orienting this website to reflect that. It’s on my long to-do list.
- I hadn’t seen The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, and have finally gotten to watching it as well as reading the book. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it.
- When I was in India, I would longingly dream of going to the US, and running off into the woods on weekends. Last weekend, Genya and me took a car on Friday and just drove off. We camped in the car and woke up overlooking the bay in the morning. Later in the day, we hiked through the giant redwood trees and sat down for a meagre lunch of cheese and crackers on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Pacific. Another dream come true.
- What I would love next would be to actually backpack and sleep in tents, and not camp in a car. I have to figure this dream out more clearly.
That’s all for now.